Create Aberdeen Provides Arts and Performance Activities for Adults with Additional Support needs and disabilities in Aberdeen.
Our Mission is to promote Community Participation and Inclusion so that people with learning disabilities have the opportunities to realise their potential.
Activities and services:
- Activities are led and supported by experienced, skilled, trained and dedicated staff.
- A safe environment for people to try out new skills
- Opportunities for Self development, creativity, confidence building, and communication.
- Skills and Talents are developed and showcased in regular performances.
- Weekday Activities based on Arts, Crafts, Drama, Music, Dance, Multi Media, Cooking, Sports and Multi sensory.
- Drop in Workshops, Short Courses, Taster sessions, Evening and weekend workshops, Discos and Social Events available.
- Support is provided within activities for participation.
- Activities are tailored to meet needs and abilities and are open to all.
- Transport can be provided if required.
- 1-1 support and care at home services available
- Individual music tuition.
Meet the Staff Team:
Create staff work to the SSSC Codes of Practice, are registered with the SSSC and are all members of the PVG Scheme.
- Maree Adams – Artistic Director/Activities Manager
- Allan Finnie – Artistic Director/Activities Manager
- Alex Constantinides – Service Manager .
- Susan Prosser – Support Worker
- Corinne Brands – Admin and Finance Manager
- Sarah Hutchison – Support Worker
- Leanne McLaughlin- Support Worker
- Phil Scott – Support Worker
- Bex Moir – Support Worker
- Heather Clyne – Support Worker
- Maryanne McDonald- Support Worker
- Bill Muir – Driver
- Amina Afzal- Support Worker
- Peter Taylor- Support Worker
- Sue Carter- Support Worker
- Sophia Park- Support Worker
- Alan Herbertson – Support Worker
- Maria Durkin- relief
- Nadine Allan – relief
Create are thankful to have skilled and experienced volunteers.
- Lynda Hunter – Volunteer and Trustee
- Dave Brands – Volunteer and Trustee
- David Hunter – Volunteer and Trustee
- Orla Smith- Volunteer and Trustee
- Susan Clark – Volunteer
- Greg Brands – Volunteer
- Jack Skinner – Volunteer
Create became a company limited by guarantee with charitable status (SC041611) in June 2010. We have a board of trustees with user representation. Starting with one session per week which proved so successful, we are now running activities and workshops 5 days and evenings per week.
Create have been very lucky to receive a Spirit of the Community Award, awarded at Inchgarth Community Centre, and have been finalists and winners in the ACVO Aberdeen Impact Awards.
Create have worked with a wide range of professionals to enhance and update our skills – these have included Multi Sensory Training, Dance workshops, Story telling and puppetry training, Drumming workshops Music workshops from Drake Music Scotland, Seated Yoga, Drama production, comedy workshops and Makaton. Staff are trained regularly in core training such as Adult Support and Protection, First Aid and Epilepsy. We are also ensuring all our staff undertake SVQs in Health and Social Care and become registered with the SSSC.
Create have worked in partnership with Mixed Fish and Mixit within the Aberdeen Arts Coalition. With support from Aberdeen City Council, the Arts Coalition provided a wide range of taster sessions, events and a fantastic Inclusive Arts Festival! We recently became a National Lottery People’s Project winner (2019) and received funding to provide a wide range of new activities.